The Kinesiology faculty have identified four distinctives of the department that have existed historically and continue to be hallmarks of our programs.
Student Engagement and Encouragement:
- Students are inspired to prepare for careers in health care, applied health science, athletic training, teaching and the fitness industry.
- Students are encouraged to develop physical efficiency, optimal health, and social cooperation for the enjoyable and intelligent use of leisure time.
- Graduates of the Department of Kinesiology are prepared for a variety of career opportunities in athletic training, health care, fitness, and teaching and coaching. The vast majority of students go on to graduate schools in physical therapy, athletic training, physician assistant, exercise physiology, and physical education.
Student Support and Inspiration:
- Point Loma faculty model research-based, best practices in athletic training, exercise science and physical education. Advisors work closely with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that undergraduates possess and inspire them to set goals for professional transformation through specifically directed internships in the student’s area of interest.
- The clinical education component of our majors is the pinnacle of the course of study as students prepare to be practicing professionals. The greater San Diego area provides many internship possibilities for students to participate in practical laboratory and internship programs, observe and participate in hospitals and physical therapy centers, observe surgery and participate in a lecture series with renowned medical doctors and other healthcare experts. Other opportunities include original experience with research under the direct supervision of faculty, sports medicine trips to Europe, and internships in coaching, teaching and with local professional teams and with the Olympic Training Center.
Whole Person Development:
- High contact advising from caring advisors allows for the development and routine monitoring of academic program plans for all students to address their academic, social, emotional, and spiritual needs, and to explore their interests and professional goals. Students are supported in developing and refining key dispositions of noble, Christ-like character throughout their course of study.
- Point Loma faculty and staff work as a cohesive team to support students in all aspects of the academic program. This support continues after graduation, and strong relationships and alumni networks keep graduates connected to their PLNU Kinesiology family throughout their professional and personal lives.